The Virgin SuperHub has a very weak wireless signal, to improve it you have 2 options:
#1 Replace the SuperHub with a new Router
- Buy a better router, I recommend buying one with “Dual Band” such as the TP Link TL-WR2543ND from Amazon. This also has 3 external antennae.
- Configure your SuperHub in Modem mode (also known as Bridging mode) – details here.
- Connect your SuperHub to your new router with an ethernet cable. Note all other wired connections are now to the new router.
- Configure your new router (set wireless password, etc).
- Connect to your new wireless network!
Note if you are an advanced user, you might want to replace the firmware on the TL-WR2543ND with OpenWRT for extra performance & features – this is not user-friendly however.
#2 – Use PowerLine
Powerline adaptors allow you to route the network over your home electricity wiring – see here for more details. This is only suitable if the device you want to get connected has an ethernet port (ie – not an ipad, iphone, etc).
- Buy some PowerLine adaptors – you’ll need a pack of two to start with, such as the TP-Link TL-PA211KIT from Amazon.
- Plug one adaptor in close to your SuperHub / Router and connect with a network cable.
- Plug the other adaptor close to your PC / laptop and connect with a network cable.
- Disconnect from the wireless network on your PC / laptop.